Monday, November 24, 2008

Broken mirrors

Ever had a dream that woke you up but had a real feeling to it? A few weeks ago on one of those days when I didnt go to sleep until 6 AM, I drifted into a sleep that felt different.

As I felt my body relaxing, I heard a small voice. It was calling my name. I tried to ignore it but it kept calling my name. All of a sudden, I felt a jolt in my body. It felt like my body was changing but I couldnt control it. I opened up my eyes and I saw three people in front of me. First one was me. Well actually, the younger me. I was abused mentally and physcially and I saw the scars of my young life. Second, I saw the teenage/ early 20's me. She was rebellious yet easily hurt. She let things get the best of her and fell in love with the guy that was kind to her. Then I saw the me of now and the future. She was poised and sure. However, she had something missing.

They stepped towards me and I stepped back. "What do you want of me?" I asked. "We want you to chose." the second image said. "You have to decide which one of us you want to define you as a person."

The first one looked at me and said: "Choose me because I was with you when they hurt you. I kept you safe when you hid in the closets. You can never deny me."

The second one said:"Choose me because you felt free with me. You didnt have to answer to no one but yourself. Even when you decided to try take your own life, you did it on your own and there was no one to stop you. You can never deny me."

The third one said:"Choose me because I am the one who led you to true love and happiness. You will have many beautiful days with me. You will be the person of your dreams. You can never deny me."

Here I was, standing in front of the person I was, I am and what I will become. They all made good points but for all the wrong reasons. In all of them was a bit of my selfishness. They possesed what I tried to deny. I couldnt do anything but look at them.

So I grabbed the future me and said:"I choose you because you are what I want to become."

I grabbed my second image and said:"I choose you because you are the independent part of me.
You have given me the choice to follow my dreams."

Lastly, I grabbed my younger self and said:"You are the strength that built from my pain. You taught me that I could conquer anything."

Then, mirrors appeared and they shattered.

I woke up suddenly feeling the same jolt in my chest. I looked into the dresser mirror and saw just one me but I knew that theres more to me than I ever dreamed of.

No comments: