Sunday, November 9, 2008

Far away for far too long

Hi! *waves* Today I thought I would give you a bit of my life by talking about something thats a huge part of my life.

Well, being from New Orleans, me and many others lost everything in Hurricane Katrina. I dont have to go into details especially since mostly everyone has seen the damage that has been done to my city. We were scattered all over the country not knowing who was where or if this person was alive or floating in the water.

My escape landing from the storm was Houston. After almost 20 hours of driving, we were tired and hoping this visit wouldnt last long. Well, as the story goes, levees broke and everything was gone.

Searching for loved ones became a chore. Attached to phones and laptops hoping to see if they can find their new whereabouts and ways to contact them. Well after finding most of my friends and family (thank God) I received a call from someone that was one the most important people in my life, my best friend/boyfriend Jay. He and his friend at the last minute made a bee line to Virginia and was safe.

After many discussions and a lot of planing, Jay moved to Houston. I was so excited to see him again. He was one of the first people that I found safe. When he jumped off the bus, I grabbed him and cried my eyes out.

So here we were picking up where we left off. The long nights talking, watching ball games and just being in each others company and listening to our fears of returning home.

As time went on, I found myself revealing more and more to him and giving him my all just to be next to him. He had become my rock when I felt like crying in dark or questioned God's actions for what happend to us.

The feelings that were growing between us had become so strong that I didnt want them to end. Here he was my best friend since ninth grade and now we are looking into each others eyes falling in love with each other more and more everyday.

But as time went by, my homesickness got worse. There were times I just wanted to eat and stay in bed. Houston was huge and hella confusing but it was no New Orleans. So after praying and planing, my family and I decided to move back home. It was a hard decision. We knew that the home we remembered was long gone and this would be a hard way to recover what we lost.

Before I moved back, Jay and I has a huge fight. It was an all out hard fight. When I look back at it, I dont even remember what the hell we were fighting about. So I went home without saying good bye face to face, just his key with a letter attached to it saying that I was leaving.

Well, as time went by, I missed him. I really needed him here with me. There were times I would sit in my FEMA trailer (aka the toxic tuna can) and think of him. What he was doing, was he happy or was he with someone else that made happy. After a long talk with myself (trust me, if want to figure something out, talk to yourself. just dont get caught) I decided to call him.

The rings were making my chest hurt. Should I hang up or should I just wait. Well, after debating, I waited for him to answer. When he answered, my voice cracked. All I heard was "Hello".

After my heart went back into its proper place, we talked and talked. It was like old times. Its like we never stopped talking to each other. Then, as we said goodbye, the words that I had been waiting for since we met: "I love you Lovely. I always have and I always will."

Well, I wanted to hear it but it to actually hear it said to you gave me chills.

So, two years and a lot of conversations later, we are still going strong. We talk everyday and everything is cool except...

He still lives in Houston. Thats 362.7 (thats right, I counted) miles. Six hours and 15 minutes (if you get caught in traffic) of driving. Countless songs on my MP3 player.

I try my best to see him but with his job and my classes, we arent able to do this. So what do we do to keep up our relationship? Lots of text messages, nightly phone calls and something a skype call just to see how we look since the last time we saw each other.

Granted I love the way we love each other but it gets lonely. I miss his embracing and the way he put his fingers through my hair and this silly thing he does with my nose (i dont know what the hell he's doing but it makes me giggle everytime). Those times I cherish and keep in my heart until we see each other again.

What happens next is actually up to fate. I wont be done with school until 2010 so I am basically staying here and finding an internship that will boost me up into my dream. We both know that our dreams are important and we want to aim higher so we can have the kind of life we have always dreamed of.

So until we meet again my love, I will see you in my dreams.

No comments: