Monday, November 4, 2013

tears................part 4

As time passed, Michaela's schedule became more hectic. She drowned herself in work to distract her from the problems she had faced a month before. For hours, she would sit at her desk, report from the field or work from home, overworking herself with little sleep.

"There's has to be more to life than work", she said. "I can't keep going like this. Maybe if I got in a little nap before work, I'll be ok." She placed her head on her desk and slowly closed her eyes.

As the sun passes through her curtains, Michaela slowly opens her eyes and turns to her alarm clock. "Oh no", she said jumping out of her bed. "I overslept!" She runs into the bathroom to freshen up and stares into the mirror to see a worn out version of her. Her hair is unkempt, eyes are bloodshot red and her face is pale. She stares for a moment only to snap back into reality and runs out to her car.

At the office, workers are walking at a fast pace trying to get the latest news stories out to the masses. As Michaela walks towards her desk, she is greeted rapidly by her coworkers and handed papers to keep her in the know about her next assignment.

As she walks into the Sports department, she realizes her coworkers aren't actually working. She runs up to them and tries to see what was going on. "What's up ya'll", she said in a huffed breath. "Why is everyone just standing around?"

They all turned around to give her a big hug and fill her in on what's going on. "The computers are fried", said Samantha. "So they called a tech guy to work on the problem. Oh by the way, Mr. Hawkins left your new assignment on the desk."

"Oh my word ya'll. Have you guys seen the repair guy", Eddie said in a singsong voice. "He is Hot!" Eddie starts to fan himself and pretends to faint.

"Whatever Ed", Samantha replied while rolling her eyes skyward. "You said that about every guy that walks in here."

"Anyway y'all, he's under your desk Michaela. Go see what I mean." He shooed her towards her desk. Michaela chuckled while walking slowly to her desk.
When she stepped to desk, she noticed a rear end sticking from under there.
"Excuse me sir", she spoke politely. "I just want to pick up these papers for my assignment."

"Its ok ma'am", the voice replied. "I'm just finishing up." The repairman slowly stood up and looked straight into her eyes. It was Lance. She took a step back in shock and began to open her mouth.

"Well hello Michaela", he said with a half smile. "I see you made it home safely. I kind of remember asking one request from you but I guess…"

"I am so sorry Lance", she began to speak in an 'I'm embarrassed' tone. "I meant to call but…"

He raised his hand up to reassure her that it was ok. "Well at least I got to see you again. I'm just glad you were ok. Seeing you like that really scared me. I feel that if I would just keep walking, I would seen it on the news and felt bad about it."

"Lance, I never had a chance to say thank you," she said. "Please accept my offer to join me for dinner."

"You don't to do that. Just seeing you was enough."

"No, please. It if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here. Please join me. Between that and saving the bureau's work for the week, I owe you a lot. So let's say 8 o'clock at Copeland's?"

Lance smiled and extended his hand towards her. "Eight o'clock it is", he confirmed as he shook her hand. "I'll see you there." He tipped his hat and began walking towards the next desk.

Eddie and Samantha skipped across the desk and leaned on Michaela's desk. "OOOO girl, he was all in your grill", Eddie said with a giant grin. "It was like he was glad to see you."

"So who is he girl", Samantha asked in anticipation. "He was fine."

"I told you girl", Eddie snapped. "I can spot a fine man 100 yards away!"

"Well, we have met before", Michaela said while stacking her papers for her assignment. "I was walking and we bumped into each other about a month ago."

"And you haven't gone out with him yet? Girl, I would snagged him up and would been cooking breakfast by now."

"That's because she isn't a fast whore like you", Samantha said while poking out her tongue. "You would have given him some the first night."

"And you damn right", he replied with no hesitation. "Speaking of getting some, see what the cat dragged in 30 minutes late."

A petite young woman walked in, yawning as she walked towards the trio.
"Good morning y'all," Toccara said while yawning still. "What's going on?"

"Well, look decided to show up for work", Eddie said sarcastically. "If it isn't 'Miss I was hanging with the MVP last night'. I see you survived it."

"Nothing happened between us Mr. Prissy Pants", Toccara snapped back. "We just talked and he told me some stuff that happens in the locker room."

Eddie's eyes lit up with joy. "Such as…."

"Haha, that's for later my horny friend."

As they laughed and continued talking, a stout older man walked into the room.
"Ladies and gentlemen", he said with a booming voice. "Everyone please join me in the meeting room. We have to assign this week interviews and today's top stories. See you all in five minutes."

As Michaela gathered her notepad and started towards the meeting room, she couldn't his blue eyes off of her mind…

No comments: