Monday, November 4, 2013

tears..............part 5

"For James Simpson and Michaela Bailey, I'm Toccara Morrison. Good New
Orleans."

"And that's a wrap everyone", Eddie said from the control room. "Another great broadcast."

Michaela pulled off her microphone and started to walk to her desk. She grabbed her purse and began to walk out when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Hey girl", Samantha said. "We are going to Fox and Hound for drinks. Are you down?"

Michaela placed her eyes towards the floor as she started to explain her plans. "I can't", she said sheepishly. "I have a date."

"Saaaaaayyyy whaaaaaaaat?! A date? Is it with the repair guy from this morning?"

"Yeah, we are meeting at Copeland's at eight o clock. So I'll take a rain check."

"You damn right you will. I'm just glad you are going out instead of locking yourself in your office. You know I want details tomorrow right."

"Of course girl", Michaela began to giggle. "I'll have it on your desk in the morning." She poked her tongue and began to walk to the elevator. 

As the elevator doors opened to the garage, Michaela turned her car alarm off and opened her door. As she sat in and fixed her mirror, she noticed how junky her car was. "Man, I have to clean this thing one day."

She flipped on her Ipod and began her drive home. It was the same route she took everyday but today was different. For a weird reason, she was glad to go home. Going this time did not mean long hours of research or writing up tomorrow's questions for an interview. Tonight was a rare night for her to be herself.

She parked her car and grabbed her suitcase. She spoke to the doorman as he opened the door for her. As she opened the door to her apartment, she threw the suitcase on the sofa and listened to her messages. Nothing new was on there, just the station and a few from her mom.

The water in the bathtub began to flow as she peered into her closet. She hadn't dressed for a date in so long that she had no idea what to wear. Most of the outfits were work outfits or outfits she wore to the store or to work out in at the gym.

Distressed about what to do, she grabbed her cell phone and called Samantha. After a few rings, she heard the sounds of music and chatting in the background.

"Hey Sam, its Michaela", she started to say. "I can't go through this."

All of a sudden the music stops and the chatter gets low. "What do you mean you can't go", Samantha yelled. "It better be a good ass reason you can't go."

"I don't know girl.  I feel funny doing this and besides that, I don't know what to wear."

"You don't know what to wear?! Is this why you can't go? Have you lost your mind?"

"What's wrong Sam", a voice said in the background. "Who is that?"

"It's Michaela, Ed. She says she can't go because she can't find anything to wear."

"Say what? Give that phone! Michaela, its Eddie. What do you mean you don't have anything to wear? Girl you go shopping every other week. How is this possible? That's it, we are on our way."

"Wait, wait", Michaela stumbled. "I can do… Hello…hello." It was too late, Samantha and Eddie were on there way. "Oh great", she thought. "I should have seen this coming."

After taking a warm bath and getting into her robe, Michaela sat at her vanity mirror and looked at her reflection. She still saw the overworked version of herself. She opened the drawer to take out her makeup but was still hesitant about this date. She wondered if this was all a big mistake.

Then, she heard a knock on the door. She walked to the living room and saw it was Samantha and Eddie at the door.

"Hey girl", they said walking past her into the living room. "We're here to help. Let's start in the closet."

"Really guys, I don't know if this is the right thing to do. I mean it's been over two years since I've been on a date. I have no idea how to act on a date anymore."

"That's why we are here", Samantha said while peering through Michaela's makeup collection. "I'll do your makeup. Eddie, get to working on that outfit."

"Girl, I'm one step ahead of you. I see potentials in the making."

Samantha sat Michaela down in her chair and began to get to work. As she scanned the different shades of color, she lifted Michaela's head to figure what would be good for the curves of her face.

"So tell me why were you trying your best to get out of this date? He seems like a nice guy and he's cute to boot. I hope this isn't because of Terrance."

"Well, it kind of is. Everyone knows how great he was when we first started dating and everyone knows what a change it was when we got deeper into the relationship. I just don't want that again."

"Well first of all Michaela, I told you in front when you started dating Terrance that I didn't like him. There was something about him that turned me off.

However, you were happy and I just wanted to see you happy so I said nothing. There's something different about…what's his name?"

"Lance……..Lance Broussard."

"Cool. There's something about him I did not feel when I met Terrance. He seems like a genuine person. I see him hanging with us and not acting all stuck up. Well I don't know Lance that well but I feel he would love what I have done to this face."

Michaela turned towards the mirror and was shocked at what she saw. There were no more looks of tiredness or overworking, just a flawless face with a small glow and a hint of color that matched her eyes.

"You have outdone yourself this time. I don't look like I've been working 12 to 15 hours a day."

"Well my job is complete. Let's go see what Ed hooked up. Where ya at Eddie? Have you found something?"

"Of course I have. OOO Sam, I love the makeup girl. It fits her. Well after much coordination, I have found the perfect outfit."

Eddie reached from behind his back and revealed a blue tea length dress with a matching belt, accessories and a pair of blue wedge shoes.

"I was in the back of the closet but I think it was the best one out of all the outfits. Come on, let's get this all together."

After she dressed, Michaela walked her friends to their car promising full details in the morning.  She hopped into her car and began to drive to restaurant with butterflies in her stomach….

No comments: