Monday, November 4, 2013

tears.............part 6

The sun's setting served as a background, Michaela cruised to Jefferson Parish with time spare. She parked her car and took one last look at herself before she walked in. Everything was in place but the heart sinking feeling she had earlier settled back in her.

"Maybe this was a mistake. What was I thinking to ask him out? Ok Michaela, you have to shake it off. You asked him and now you have to face it."

She took a few deep breaths; she opened her door and shook the wrinkles out of her dress. It was ten minutes to eight when she gave her keys to valet and walked inside.

She walked towards the hostess slowly gazing her eyes to find Lance. "Good evening madam", the hostess said with a big grin. "Do you have a reservation?"

"Yes, it's under the name Bailey. I'm waiting for the other person in my party."

"Well ma'am, I would be glad to show you to your table and let your guest know where you are sitting."

"Thank you. I would like that."

"Right this way ma'am." The hostess led her to a small table with candles lit in the middle. The hostess pulled out Michaela's chair and told her that the waiter would be there soon.

The waiter came about a few minutes later. She ordered a hurricane and a glass of water. She looked at her watch and it read eight o'clock.  She sipped slowly as she looked around the room. She felt her purse vibrate and picked up her phone.

"Oh great", she thought. "All of this and he maybe calling to cancel." She looked at her phone only to find out that it was Samantha calling. She put her head down and answered in a whisper: "Hello."

"Hey girl, how's it going?"

"Nothing is going. He isn't here yet. Maybe he will be a no-show and I'll be eating alone…again."

"Michaela, stop it. It's Friday and you know damn well traffic is dreadful. Just be patient and relax. He'll be there. Just act natural and don't act like you are sending out the National Guard to find him."

"Ok, ok. I'll be ok but if he isn't here in 30 minutes, I'm leaving. Bye, Sam."

She placed her phone back into her purse and began to sip her drink once more. She went to reach for the menu and her phone fell off her lap. She leaned to pick it up only to find roses on the table.

There stood Lance in a black suit with a white unbuttoned shirt. Michaela could not help but to scan him up and down. He looked like a guy out of a magazine shoot. His blonde hair naturally falling down into place, his blue eyes as clear as oceans and his smile that brightened up the room amazed her.

"Lance, it's good to see you. Please sit. I haven't ordered yet."

The waiter returned to offer a drink to Lance as they looked over the menu. Michaela watched his lips moved as he ordered. His smile was memorizing and his drawl had a Southern gentleman type speech.

"Michaela….Michaela, are you ready to order?"

She shook her head and snapped out of her trance. "Sure. May I have the seafood platter with loaded fries please?"

"Okay", waiter said. "And you sir?"

Lance grinned and leaned back into his chair. "I will have what the lady is having also."

"So, Michaela", Lance began to ask. "What is there about you I need to know about you besides your urge to drown yourself in the lake?"
"Well, there isn't much to know. I was born on a military base here in Louisiana. My dad was in the Army and my mom was working with the Blood Center getting people to donate blood. They met at an Army blood drive and sparks flew. They married and I came about five years later. Then they divorced and my mom did her best to raise me. I had a normal life. I graduated from High School, went to Tulane and then worked my way up as a writer. Now, how about yourself? What should I know about you?

Before Lance could answer, Michaela's phone rang. "Excuse me for a second", she said with a nervous giggle. "Hello."
"Hey girl, it's Sam. Did he show up?"

"Yes, I left the article on my desk. I'll go over it tomorrow. Good night Samantha."

"See? I told you he would. See ya later."

Michaela put her phone back into her purse as Lance looked at her with a smirk on his face. "So, your friends are checking up on you I see?"

"Yeah, they were just being nosy. What should I know about you Mr. Broussard? "

"Well, there isn't much to say. My mom raised me. My dad wasn't around much. I went to a small High School and learned a lot about computers. My senior year, I got a scholarship to a school to learn how to work on and to built them. I spent my fours years there, got certified in many systems and started my own business. I didn't have many customers at first. I started fixing friend's computers for hardly anything and word of mouth spread and I began to fix more. I usually repair and set up computers for small businesses. The station was the biggest gig I've ever had."

"Wow. So owning your business your biggest dream?"

"Not really. At first, it was to work with a big corporation as head IT guy. Big office, big salary and a big life were a big thing to me. However, after fixing my first small business, I felt more respected. In a big corporation, I would have been just another face but with these people, I'm not just a face. I'm Lance, the guy who can fix anything and can be relied upon at anytime."

The conversation went well past dinner into dessert. They laughed about silly things that happen in their everyday lives. It was like they had known each other for years. Michaela told him about what goes on behind the scenes of a normal broadcast and Lance tried his best to explain a normal computer problem although Michaela sat with a puzzled look on her face. 

It was a quarter past ten when Lance walked her to her car. "I had a great time Michaela. We should do this again. How about next week?"

"Sure. I'll call you and let you know when I'm off. Good night Lance."



She sat in her car while looking in her rearview mirror catching one more look at him. She smiled and waved as she pulled off for her long trip home…

No comments: